Reporting Violations of NEC's Title IX and Gender-Based Misconduct Policies

View as PDF

a)    Who can I tell if I want to keep it confidential?
Members of NEC’s Health and Counseling Center are referred to as “confidential resources,” which means that they are not required to disclose reports of sexual misconduct, unless there is an imminent risk of harm to the reporting individual or the NEC community.  Health care providers in our center can provide confidential advocacy, crisis counseling and medical services, as well as explain options for additional support.  Visits are confidential and medical records cannot be released without your consent unless subpoenaed by a court of law. If the Health and Counseling Center is closed, listen to the outgoing message at 617-585-1284 for directions on how to page the doctor on-call.  NEC’s Health and Counseling Center is located at 241 St. Botolph Street, Room 112.

b)    Are there times when NEC cannot keep the information confidential?
NEC respects the desire for confidentiality and will always strive to protect a person’s right to privacy.  However, strict confidentiality can limit NEC’s ability to conduct a thorough investigation and take appropriate disciplinary action. Additionally, as explained in the Policy, there are circumstances where NEC is obligated to follow up on a report even if a Reporting Party does not wish to do so if the reported incident was systemic or part of a broader pattern, or poses a credible threat to the safety of the NEC community or the public at large.  

c)    How do I report a violation to someone at NEC?

i)Students are encouraged to report violations to a Title IX Officer or staff within the Office of Student Services who have been educated in the rights of and services available for both Reporting Parties and Responding Parties.
ii)    Employees are encouraged to report violations to a Title IX Officer or to the Office of Human Resources.
iii)    Violations may be reported in writing or verbally at any time without limitation, but a written complaint may be required for some processes to apply, pursuant to federal regulations
iv)    Designated NEC administrators are available to support both parties and provide an explanation of rights, including access to counseling and medical services and the ability to institute a separate criminal complaint, including obtaining a restraining order through the Boston Police Department.

d)    Student Amnesty for Underage Drinking, Excessive Drinking and Illegal Drug Use
Although underage drinking, excessive drinking and illegal drug use are violations of NEC’s Code of Conduct, students will be given amnesty for these offenses when there are reporting allegations of sexual assault.  In other words, a student who is assaulted while under the influence of drugs or alcohol – or who witnesses an assault or a violation of this Policy – should not be afraid to report the incident to school officials.